Sample menu:

Finding us

Cnr. High and Walker Streets, Northcote.

Melways Ref:
Page 30, E12
Show Google Map »

We acknowledge the Wurundjeri, the traditional owners of the land on which the church is built.

Service Times

Further details »

Postal Address

12a High Street,
Northcote. Vic.  3070

Community Store

Opening hours
Monday – Saturday
10.00 am to 4.30 pm.

Closed on Sundays and Public Holidays.

Meeting Room

Further details »

History

150 years of service

All Saints in 1949

In August 2010, we celebrated the fact that public worship has continued without interruption on this site for 150 years.

Some time before 1860, a group of citizens held a series of meetings in the Peacock Inn Hotel, at the top of what is now called Ruckers Hill. They worked to plan the acquisition of land and the raising of funds and all the other tasks necessary to establish the first local Church of England, as part of the parish of Brunswick, additional to Christ Church Brunswick. There was at the time only one other church in what is now Northcote.

When services started in August 1860 the Colony of Victoria had existed as a separate colony for only 10 years. The event of separation gives its name to ‘Separation Street’.  It was only 7 years after the first permanent domestic house had been built in Westgarth.

There was no gas street lighting in High Street. It would be 15 years before the bridge was built across the Merri, to bring the gas across the creek.  It would be 20 years before the coming of a cable tram. The gradient of Rucker’s Hill had to be completely rebuilt before a tram line would be possible.

All Saints in the 1920s

It was 25 years before the site was even cleared for the building of St Paul’s Cathedral, a project that lasted decades.  All Saints was here 28 years before the Town Hall and Post Office were built.  All Saints existed for a generation before Northcote was proclaimed a town.

The church building

All Saints in 2010

The church building (excluding the vestries and re-built bluestone chancel) is registered by the National Trust with a ‘local’ classification, meaning that it has cultural and historical significance in the context of the region. Citation: ‘The first part of 1859-60 to the design of Nathaniel Billing, although this was never completed…the  church is in the Early English Gothic style and distinguished by the use of Bacchus Marsh freestone dressings on a body of squared snecked bluestone rubble.’ It is one of only two churches in Northcote to be registered.

This space has been dedicated, set aside for a sacred purpose since 1860. All through the changes that came with land sales and the gold rush and then the massive social change of the twentieth century, and all the other historical changes Northcote has seen, this place has remained.

Historical Display

Laying the foundation stone of the Chapel 1896 image

During August 2010, a selection of historical photographs and documents were on display.

These are now available as PDF documents for download:

A walk around All Saints

All Saints 150 history summary

We are grateful to Alma Ryrie-Jones for researching, preparing and compiling all the historical data.